The Oil and Protein Seeds Development Trust (OPDT) was registered on 18 September 1997. The main objective of the Trust is to promote and enhance the oilseeds industry in South Africa with particular reference to sunflower, soybeans, groundnuts and canola. This means that both Trust capital and income will be used solely for projects that are reconcilable with the aims of the Trust and in the interest of the oilseeds industry.
The Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC) consists of representatives of the main role-players in the industry and advises the Trust on projects that should be financed in the interest of the industry. The Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC) hereby cordially invites you to submit research projects that are in the interest of the oilseeds industry. Of particular importance are the principle viewpoints formulated by the Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC) which will serve as framework when the Committee evaluates the project applications (see Addendum I for full particulars). You are kindly requested to take note of these viewpoints as applications falling outside this framework will not be considered by the Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC).
Deadline for Applications
Please note the following deadlines for project applications. Applications received after deadlines, will not be considered by the Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC).
- 1 June 2017 : Deadline for receiving applications – only Management summary.
- 1 August 2017 :Feedback by Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC) to applicants.
- Project applicants who were unsuccessful will also be informed of the decision of the Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC).
- Successful applicants will be requested to submit a full presentation and budget to the Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC).
- After receiving the detailed applications, these will, where applicable, be referred for peer evaluation. In all cases, the Committee will honour the confidentiality of the peer evaluators.
- August : Where applicable, peer evaluators’ commentary will be referred to applicants for possible amendments to project proposals.
- 1 December 2017 : The Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC) provides applicants with feedback regarding finances approved by the Development Trust for the 2018/2019 financial year, not later than 1 December 2017.
Format of Presentation
Your initial application (due date 1 June 2017) may be submitted in the form of a management summary. The following guidelines apply for compiling such a management summary:
- Aim and methodology : Introduction with a brief description of the aim of research or service project, followed by an exposition of methods to be used.
- Results envisaged : Refer to the results envisaged. Any additional information for the Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC)’s attention can be mentioned here.
- Value for the industry : Outline the value that such a project will have for the oilseeds industry. Make recommendations as to how research results can be used and how they can be applied in the industry. A financial evaluation of the proposed research will be useful. A proposed programme regarding the publication of results and implementation thereof can also be mentioned here.
- Limitations : Where applicable, mention the limitations which may be experienced that could have an effect on the project.
- Publication : Indicate how the result of the project will be made known, e.g. articles, congresses, farmers days, etc.
- Budget : Please attach a projected budget for each year of the expected duration of the project.
- Duration : Please indicate the expected duration of the project. It is not the policy to fund projects for longer than 3-4 years. Should a longer period be required, further applications can be submitted after the termination of the first phase.
Important : The management summary must not exceed four A4 pages per application.
Detailed motivated presentation
If the management summary submitted to the Oilseeds Advisory Committee (OAC) is considered favourably, it will be referred back to the researcher with a request for a detailed, motivated presentation. See above-mentioned deadlines in this regard. See also Addendum II for information to be included in the detailed presentation.
Relevant Budget Period
The relevant period of the budget is March 2018 to February 2019 or the first 12 months of the project. Please supply dates if not a calendar year.
If you have any inquiries you are welcome to contact the Chief Executive Officer, Gerhard Keun at telephone number +27 (0)11 234 3400/1 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you.
PS: Addendums referred to herein will be made available on request.